Takoma Academy Preparatory School (TA Prep) located in Takoma Park, Maryland, is a private, co-educational elementary school operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Takoma Academy Preparatory School began its operations on July 1, 2017 with a renovated campus established from the merger of Sligo Adventist School and John Nevins Andrews School, two institutions with a rich heritage serving the community for over one hundred years.
Takoma Academy Preparatory School shines as a beacon on a campus with Takoma Academy and is located just a few blocks from Washington Adventist University, forming an educational community to foster continuity in Adventist education. TA Prep has two constituent churches: Sligo Seventh-day Adventist Church and Takoma Park Seventh-day Adventist Church.
Takoma Academy Preparatory School is a Christian school that honors God in nurturing its students to embrace Biblical truths, pursue academic excellence and prepare for a life of service.
The vision of Takoma Academy Preparatory School is to graduate scholars who are Thinkers, Achievers, Peacemakers, and Servant Leaders.
Takoma Academy Preparatory School (TA Prep) is designed to provide a holistic learning experience, nurture faith, develop character and promote academic excellence for students in grades Kindergarten – 8th grade. It is our firm belief that faith and learning must unite to ensure everlasting academic excellence is instilled in each student entrusted to our care. “It is the work of true education to develop this power (akin to that of the Creator), to train the youth to be thinkers, and not mere reflectors of other men’s thought.” Our sole goal is to “send forth boys and girls strong to think and to act…boys and girls “who possess breadth of mind, clearness of thought, and the courage of their convictions.” (Education, White, pg.17) We are committed to providing students with a strong foundation of skills needed that support their education. This is inclusive of providing a program with opportunities for on-going success. When TA Prep students experience success, their self-worth and self-image is enhanced. Students are then excited to be creative decision-makers who take on challenges, and use strategies in problem solving. It is our desire to educate the masses; students from diverse, racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic groups reflected in our community. We strive to provide a safe, healthy environment where diverse groups can grow and learn together. We serve a God of excellence and we strive to provide excellent education for each student that enters the doors of Takoma Academy Preparatory School.
- Cordial Relationships: We are friendly to everyone, treating them with kindness and compassion.
- Mutual Respect: We treat others with respect and expect to be treated in the same manner.
- Honesty and Transparency: We practice honesty and openness, and choose to tell the truth at all times.
- Integrity: We are consistent, both in private and in public, in doing what is right.
- Excellence: We strive to do our best in all things and live up to our full potential.
- Accountability: We take responsibility for all our actions, decisions and our performance.
- Service: We love serving others, instead of waiting to be served.
- Diversity: We accept that God makes us all different and we endeavor to learn from one another, celebrate our differences, and welcome everyone as a child of God.
Takoma Academy Preparatory School is accredited by the:
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools.
Enroll with us